Sunday, December 4, 2011

JOURNAL #16

   Growing up my mom has always tought me to be a proud African American young women. I remember when I was younger I onced asked my mom why I got treated different when i was just like everyone else. She told me that I wasn't the same as every one else that I came from special ancestors that over came a lot. At the time I didn't understand what she ment by that, but as time pasted I began to figure out what she had really ment. She ment that throughout life i would face many obstacles based on the color of my skin. However at the time I remember I felt uter confusion. 
   I remember when i was 12 i got called a "NIGGER" for the first time. i was devastated and didn't understand why someone would call me that. I went home and I cried to my mom and told her about everything. I wondered how anyone could belittle someone using that word. MY mom explained to me again that many people were going to treat me different based on the color of my skin but it was my job not to give them a reason to. From that day on I became proud of me and my culture. I have sinced embraced who i am and will never let anyone use that word to hurt me again. This has impacted me because I was able to turn such a negative experience into something that now shapes who I am till this day. This shows me that i can over come anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment